Wednesday, September 13, 2006

More on tapes

To everyone interested in my KCAC/KDKB tapes: I'm getting together with Andy Olson soon to see what I've got that he doesn't and vice versa, and to put together the best and most complete versions of the tapes possible. Stay tuned for more news in a couple of weeks.

Anybody know if Hans Olson has tapes of his live radio appearances in the 1970s? I've got a couple of them on tape (one early 1975, one May 1976) but they're both from battered, hissy old cassettes, and I'm hoping that somebody somewhere has better copies. There's also a legendary, 4-in-the-morning, falling-down-drunk show he did with Nina Joy sometime prior to the 1976 show... I didn't tape it; did anybody???

Tom

2 comments:

freespeak@gmail.com said...

Good choice! Andy has the archiving interest and engineering experise to do the job beautifully. Your first new friend, Tom! Those "hissy old cassettes" as a rule can be run through an equalizer, re-phased if old stereo and generally cleaned up to near-studio quality. Don't diss them! Let The Man do his magic and get 'em digitized. You will be amazed what all can be done with them after that!

Ronco

freespeak@gmail.com said...

I'd like to recommend Andy or someone contact Carole to see if she would like to donate Bill's old tapes. Her email is on The List. Bill's old recorder was working ok back in '96. That's the PAST century if anyone is keeping track.. I copied maybe 60% of what I found on the tapes BUT YOU KNOW WHAT?

SOME of those tapes may have been HALF TRACK which means there may be a bunch more recorded on the OTHER side in the other direction! It never occurred to me at the time, I just figured they were all AMPEX full-track copies! THAT I betcha is where the KRUX Steppenwolf concert production is! Dang them margaritas!

Ronco