Tuesday, August 29, 2006

DEJA'VU Then & Now Mugshots: PEGI'S VAULT

If you wish to view or download any of these photos in their original .JPG scan size and coloration, simply click on the PEGI'S VAULT headline above..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THE MIGRATION to Phoenix of our band of Adventurers took several trial-and-error pathways. Here is Hank, Pegi and June Johnson at a scene that may have been anywhere between Phoenix and California - our chosen rendevous point. After all we wouold be less than Lemmings if we did n0t make it to the sea - right?






DOZENS AND DOZENS of beautiful, mostly naked young California Women as you can see in this March 1969 picture, greeted us at the beach. Up at Venice Beach and in the LA clubs, Jim Morrison and The Doors were rehearsing. We didn't know that, of course. Meanwhile a bunch of DJ's destined to begin KCAC were hanging out here. Morrison and The Doors didn't know that, of course.


Our main reason for the California Connection was Mike and Frannie Baldwin. (Yep, another Fran). Actually, this picture was made a year or so after our visit, on the occasion of the arrival of Tender Grass, tha baby shown here. Mike had been a Dallas Jazz DJ that I had known of and only spoken with by phone. Imagine my surprise when we finally met, 1500 miles away.




This particular picture means a lot to me because I'm in it! First time for me to see it, too. No, that's Bill in the middle-right. The fat Mexican-looking guy pretending to be an ape - that's me. The girl between Bill and I is Colleen Aanderegg - a former Miss Dallas and former KVIL denizen like Bill, Hank and I.

The Red-Headed Stepchild on the right is Jim Thompson, an old Compton Family friend. Jim and I shared the driving from Ft. Worth all the way to Manhattan Beach, California where this picture was made.. Colleen had just barely passed muster on a strip-search the night before at the Mexican border of El Paso. Jim was driving through the desert at about 3AM when amazingly, we ran out of gas!

I hitched to a station 10 miles up the road that didn't open until 6AM and amazingly also, when I got back at about 8AM, Jim and Colleen were in love. Wow, imagine that. Jim and Colleen went back to Texas, later married and had a couple of kids....... See? I KNEW there was a reason for them to make that trip!

1 comment:

Mariah Fleming said...

You crack me up...and you are posting gems of history while you do it! Heartwarming stuff! WEC and the heavenly crew are watching!