Saturday, November 25, 2006

Newly Discovered KCAC Tape!

I posted this previously, but I think it got lost in the shuffle with all the posts regarding Dwight's illness, passing, and memorial service. So, here is some good news:

Thanks to Patrick Lange, we now have a "new" (previously uncirculated) tape of Bill Compton on the air at KCAC on November 14, 1970. It's an hour long and it includes music ranging from Judy Collins to the Mothers of Invention, along with several live-in-the-studio songs from Michael Collins. There are also some vintage commercials, one of which has Marty doing a remote broadcast from a clothing store and engaging in some pretty funny back-and-forth banter with Bill in the studio. I've already converted the tape to CD but will pass it along soon to Andy Olson, who may be able to get a better transfer. This will be a terrific addition to the growing KCAC/KDKB archive. Thank you, Patrick; and the rest of you, keep digging through those closets, attics, and garages - I know there's more out there!

Tom

PS - I'm also still trying to track down the lost "Profile" TV shows that Bill Compton hosted on KAET here in 1974. Ken Beals has determined that KAET does not have copies in their own archive, but I'm pursuing a couple of other leads. If anybody has any clues about the existence and location of these videotapes, or if you know anybody who worked at KAET in the mid-1970s, please let me know!!!

6 comments:

Jimmy said...

Hey, Tom, if I can pick up a copy of that CD (or just drop by with my laptop and copy it while-you-wait), I'll put it up on this blog for all to hear.

Anonymous said...

An excellent idea!

Mariah Fleming said...

Tom,
You're full of surprises! It's a constant "WOW!" with your finds!!
Talk about time travel!

Tom Wright said...

Jimmy and I are working on a method of doing this... not as simple as it sounds! Stay tuned,

Tom

vagabondvet said...

Hi!

How big is it, and in what format?

If you are still having difficulties, I suggest you get in touch with Fran, she said she could host it on her site.

If that's not an option, I also have a few hundred MB of space available on my site.

Let us know... and have a great day!

:~)aniel

P.S. I'm leaving the house for a while, but will be back later today.

Mariah Fleming said...

So much unbelievable, one of a kind stuff shows up on this blog, and you guys are the ones who make it happen. It's a trip to read the blog every day to see what new goodies await us. Sure beats tv! Gracias mi amigos.