Monday, March 28, 2005

The Beatles Or Something Like It - The Day The Music Died

Conspiracy theories are a part of living and dying. It's almost as if you can't believe yo mamma no mo.

KCAC was physically cradled at first in the front of Wallich's Music City - 40th Street and Thomas somewhere between Taco Bell and Tempe.
My first "employees" were Scott Nicholson and Mike Kollassa in that tiny front room studio - right behind the glass at the front of the store. We were supposed to play OLDIES (which to me, meant 50's) untill Bill and Hank could dump their positions at KRUX and KTAR respectively. OLDIES.

Scott and Mike rebelled. We were at a buffet of new rock with all the demo albums just outside the door and I was faced with Scott trying to tell me that Disraeli Gears by Cream was oldies music. Well, it HAD been out for a month or more................

I will never forgive Scott and Mike for their rebellion and I shall be eternally grateful for their inspired sense of timing. By the time Bill and Hank made it over, the station was already "hot". The arrival of "Little Willie Sunshine" and the soon-to-be "Incredible Hank" was BIG news in the Phoenix radio world.

Some months into the station, I was paid a visit by several "representatives" of a Chicago underground newspaper, breaking the story tha Paul McCartney was dead. We did a long interview with all the clues - playing records backwards, etcetera.

It was all too much. I took the 4 beatles photos from the White Album and taped them in the window. John on top, Ringo to his right, George to his left and Paul below - upside down.


The Beatles
Don't Pass Me By
by Unknown


I listen for your footsteps coming up the drive,
Listen for your footsteps but they don’t arrive,
Waiting for your knock dear on my old front door,
I don’t hear it,
Does it mean you don’t love me anymore?

I hear the clock a-ticking on the mantelshelf,
See the hands a-moving but I’m by myself,
I wonder where you are tonight and why I’m by myself,
I don’t see you.
Does it mean you don’t love me anymore?

Sorry that I doubted you
I was so unfair,
You were in a car crash and you lost your hair,
You said that you would be late an hour or two
I said that’s all right
I’m waiting here just waiting to hear from you.

Don’t pass me by, don’t make me cry, don’t make me blue,
‘Cause you know daring I love only you,
You’ll never know it hurt me so,
How I hate to see you go,
Don’t pass me by,
Don’t make me cry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Go ahead - Click the link
http://www.total411.info/2005/03/no-ix-masonic-assassination-of-james.html

1 comment:

Liz Boyle said...

So very cool to read; looking forward to more, Ron.