Friday, April 20, 2007

Four and Twenty


Not that KCAC Lives! endorses this kind of thing, but today marks a "counterculture holiday" of sorts. See the Wikipedia entry for explanation and history.
Locally (in Tempe, of course), The Organic Glass Smoke Shop (SW corner of Dobson and Guadalupe) is holding the “On It” Music Fest starting at 11 am, and at 7 pm, The Subculture CafĂ© (227 E. Baseline) is holding its own celebration.
For celebrants who can’t get off the couch, cable's G4 channel is planning an evening-long celebration that goes to Amsterdam, where the coffeeshops sell bags of grounds you won't find at Starbucks, and tonight at 9 they'll be airing (in its entirety, they say) "The Big Lebowski," starring Jeff Bridges in his immortal role as The Dude, apparently the poster boy for this particular holiday. Abide!

3 comments:

Liz Boyle said...

FOUR (orders of onion rings) AND TWENTY (super tacos)!!!

Jimmy, thanks for keeping us well versed in the lexicon of pot culture. I'd never heard of 420!

I highly recommend "The Big Lebowski", it's a classic!

freespeak@gmail.com said...

4+20 I am sure has a very hip and hidden (there's that word OCCULT again), that older people, cops and little kids are not supposed to understand. In a different generation and at a different time, the phrase would probavly be ued to rhyme with "Acapulco Gold" or "Six Pack" or Panama Red" - ancient names for strengths and quantities like "lids" that are no longer used except amongst black people who are trying to be agreeable company to mature, white Supervisory types.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Crosby Stills Nash & Young - 4+20 Lyrics

4+20 years ago
I come into this life
The son of a woman
And a man who lived in strife
He was tired of being poor
And he wasn't into selling door to door
And he worked like the devil to be more

A different kind of poverty now upsets my soul
Night after sleepless night
I walk the floor and I want to know
Why am I so alone?
Where is my woman can I bring her home?
Have I driven her away?
Is she gone?

Morning comes to sunrise
And I'm driven to my bed
I see that it is empty
And there's devils in my head
I embrace the many colored beast
I grow weary of the torment
Can there be no peace?
And I find myself just wishing that my life would simply cease.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fun, eh?

Ronco

Jim Magahern said...

Stephen Stills was such an old soul at 24 - so was Neil Young, come to think of it. Thanks for the lyrics.